Tours of the Cyclotron Institute
Visitors will learn how a cyclotron works and get to see the ion source, control room, and at least one of the experimental halls. Access to one of our two cyclotrons is constrained by the schedule of scientific experiments and so cannot be guaranteed; if not being actively used, the tour will include one of our cyclotrons.
Fill out the form below and sign your group up for a free tour!
|Tour date and time||Contact||# in group||# waivers pending|
|1.||1:00pm, Thu. Jun 27th||katherine T.||10|
Some notes about the tour:
- Tours are commonly given during normal working hours. In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accomodate tours on weekends or holidays; if you require a non-standard time, please email your request to or call +1(979) 845-1411 instead of filling out the form below.
- Children under 6 yrs old are not permitted on the tour due to safety regulations. All minors (those under 18) must have a waiver form signed by their parent or legal guardian. You will fill out this form electronically before confirming your request. Children under 12, in addition to the waiver, must furthermore be accompanied by their parent or guardian on a tour.
- The tour is about 1 hour long, depending on the group's questions and interest. Cameras are not only allowed, but are actively encouraged! Please plan to arrive at the entrance to the CI approximately 5 minutes early so that the tour can start on time. (See a map here).
- The building contains many devices which produce ionizing radiation. These are well-shielded, but there is still a very small chance that you could be exposed to radiation. We will give you a temporary dosimeter to monitor your exposure. Generally, the doses from the tour are much less than a single dental x-ray. If you have any questions about radiation then feel free to ask your tour guide.
- Please wear sensible, closed-toed shoes. There are a small number of metal-grating stairs to climb and other tripping hazards which would be more difficult in, say, high heels.
- Unfortunately, the tour is not wheelchair accessible due to the age of the building.
- The Cyclotron Institute has a partial exemption from recent legislation regarding carrying concealed handguns on campus because of the significant risk of catastrophic harm due to a negligent discharge. As a result, the licensed carry of a handgun is not allowed in many parts of the facility, and our tours will go into those areas. No one will be permitted on a Cyclotron Institute tour while carrying a firearm.
- The maximum number of persons allowed per tour is 10, including any chaperones. The form below allows for you to sign up other people, or yourself and others. After submitting your information here, you will be able to add all the participants to the group. If your group is larger than 10, please assign another contact person for a separate tour (which could be concurrent).